Monday, April 4, 2016

Have We Raised A Bunch Of Wussies?

College is supposed to be a period of enlightenment for young people. To discover new ideas and explore different cultures. But unless you want to become an engineer, a lawyer, a doctor or something of that sort, you probably don't need to go to college. But there you, at the university. What an opportunity!

I grew up in a couple of small towns. I was never much of a student and I disliked school. But somehow, there I was - at college. I could have gone to a trade school (and probably should have), but wound up on campus instead. But from my first day of classes, I'm like, Whoa! 

I wasn't much of a student there either, but was fascinated by all the different cultures, the different people, ideas, etc. I soon became friends with a classmate from Iran. The school and the community had a racial balance that was far different from back home. It seemed like every day I was being exposed to something new.

And I loved every minute of it.

I learned to become tolerant. Exploring the unknown is nothing to be frightened about. We all live on this round rock together.

That was 35 years ago. So what the hell happened?

College students today have become intolerant. They don't just reject ideas they don't agree with - they want those ideas banned. The First Amendment is taking a beating on campus these days.

Emory University is an esteemed institution of higher learning in Atlanta. You have to be pretty damn smart to get into Emory. But students there became completely unhinged when someone wrote "Trump 16" and other pro-Trump comments all over campus in chalk, as in it will wash away in the next rain. This was haaaaaate speech.

No, it's intolerance. By the students.

The students certainly have the right to oppose Trump, and have the right to express their opinion. The chalk writer does not have the right to deface private property, but it's not like he or she painted the Trump comments all over campus. It was freaking chalk.

But the crybaby students said they were traumatized by this. They will need counseling to learn how to deal with the stress.

???

Are you kidding me? Where did these wussies come from? How were they raised? How did they become so incredibly intolerant? A few dozen students protested outside the administration building. OMG!

"The First Amendment is taking a beating on campus these days"

When I was in college, I once had a communist professor.  A communist! And he wasn't afraid to talk about it. He got me so riled up he called me to his office. On a Saturday. And I was stupid enough to actually go. He then spent an hour trying to convince me why I should want to be a communist. Obviously it didn't work.

I didn't walk out. I heard what he had to say and didn't leave until I was dismissed. That is what it known as manners. I didn't march to the chancellor's office to demand the commie be fired. I didn't call daddy and cry that my tuition included a commie professor and that's wrong, and he should demand a refund. Make no mistake. The dude really pissed me off. But I wasn't traumatized. I didn't need counseling. I didn't demand a commie-free zone on campus. I finished the semester in his class and got on with my life.

Somehow kids today never learned the difference between disagreeing with someone but recognizing their right to say it (tolerant), and being intolerant of anyone and every idea you disagree with.

I hope and pray these kids are a small percentage of today's students.

A few weeks ago I wrote about what happened at the University of Nebraska at Kearney. They had space for a fast food vendor in their student union. The students were polled for what they would like, and Chick-fil-A was by far the favorite.

But the egghead leader of the the student government felt Chick-fil-A did not represent the values of the University of Nebraska at Kearney. Those unacceptable values included Christianity, tolerance of everyone and never, ever refusing service to anyone for any reason. The school folded and kept Chick-fil-A out, showing their values are that of intolerance, hate and disregard for the U.S. Constitution.

That any institution of higher learning, and a government school at that, would espouse those values to our young people is beyond outrageous. But it explains a lot.

If these kids are traumatized and require counseling because of chalk writing or a chicken joint, how the hell do they expect to succeed in the real world? Something they clearly know nothing about. The real world doesn't have safe zones. No wonder these kids wind up living in their parent's basement until their mid-30's. They're too damn sensitive to go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment