Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Confirmation Hearings Not The Place To Shout Protests

A friend of mine asked the other day on Facebook why people destroy neighborhoods in fear that Donald Trump will destroy their neighborhoods. That's a good question. Several folks gave good, thoughtful answers. But when you get right down to it, these people lack the intelligence to know what is really going on. They rely on hearsay as well as the corrupt media. But sometimes, they are right.

I am watching the Senate Confirmation Hearing for Attorney General Designate Jeff Sessions. Several people have had to be removed by Capital Police because they started screaming protests during the hearing. Why would they do this?

???

Their screaming persuaded no one. The First Amendment does not give you the right to express yourself anywhere at anytime. Such as in a Senate Confirmation Hearing. That is why the people disrupting the hearing were forcibly removed from the room. I presume they do not possess the written communication skills to write a thoughtful, attentive letter to members of the committee. They should have paid closer attention in school.

Let me give you an example. Many years ago, while I lived in Florida, a powerful state senator wanted to get a government project built in his district. I knew that senator well, so my stink-meter started pegging in the red. The local politicians and media made a big deal of this project. It was a "sure thing."

I did some investigating, and discovered that senator owned the property in question. He donated it to the state for the project. Why? Because he also owned a large amount of property surrounding that site. Further investigation showed that the senator planned to develop that property based on the presence of the government project.

He put the project into the state budget because he planned on profiting from the government project. That is a clear violation of Florida ethics laws.

Now I could have gone to Tallahassee and shouted in a budget hearing. Not my style, but I could have done so. Had I done that, the project would have been built and the senator would have received his ill-gotten gains.

Instead, I sent a note to Governor Jeb Bush, explaining the entire situation, including who the senator was, whom he knew very well. Then there was a delay in the Governor signing the state budget. Bush was investigating my story.

Then finally, Jeb signed the budget and it was released to the public. He had line-item vetoed the project out of the budget! Jaws dropped in my town. The mayor was on TV completely at a loss as to why the project was vetoed. A few days later, Governor Bush sent me a note thanking me for my investigation and letting him know. The project eventually went to another city. No one in town knew that I was the one who sank their project.

THAT is how you get things done. Not by making as ass of yourself in a government hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment